May 30th June 2nd.

 

May 30th   June 2nd

 

My Mum told me, so it must be true.

That on my birthday in 1952

It was Whit Monday (Whitsun holiday was more important then)

My first birthday (when I was one year old)

Was Coronation day. (they wouldn’t have watched it on tv)

My second birthday was Derby Day.

My 70th birthday barbecue too.

 

The Derby was always run on a Wednesday at 3pm

Profits, bookmakers, then online betting rules

That it has changed.

But not for the best.

 

The best was Lester Piggott.

On Nijinsky in 1970. Who won the triple crown.

My best was when we went to see Charlottown. (day off of school)

Piggott was the greatest.

Imagine a field of 35 thundering down the straight mile.

You could tell which one Lester was on from far away.

He was the one settled, backside high up in the air.

Motionless.

He had such an affinity with the majestic horse.

Effortless.

The best.

 

He won the Derby nine times;

Nijinsky, Sir Ivor, The Minstrel spring to mind.

As a classic winner, he was sublime.

He was an enigma.

Hardly ever ate. He had a lined face and a drawling voice

(Had a speech difficulty)

Smoked cigars like they were going out of style

(they did..) (and so did that phrase)

He was champion jockey 11 times.

I remember with fondness seeing him ride.

 

Derby day 2022.

And there I will be; having a barbecue.

Surrounded Inshallah, by family and friends

In a garden. How wonderful will that be.

I might, just might, creep away to my laptop

And watch ITV4

To watch the greatest race in racing.

I’ll raise a toast to that. And to Lester.

RIP longfellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment