May 29th Cicely Alaska

 

 29th May  Cicely, Alaska

 

Snow covered mountains distant, the air crystal clear.

Hard to believe that I am actually here.

What an adventure!

The train serenely speeds through the Alaskan plains,

Spectacular views all around and afar

Comfortably sat in my observation car.

 

So many inane and inept phrases come to mind

Holiday of a lifetime!

As I struggle to describe to myself what I can see and find.

The ferry journeys for days uncomfortably from Vancouver

Glaciers, islands, humpback whales; but it was so cold!

I know I was warned, but I wouldn’t be told.

 

Now sitting back and enjoying trying to spot

The abundance of wildlife, moose and grizzly bear.

It’s just out there!

I shake my head, chuffed, pleased with myself

I knew I could do it, even at my age, I could ask

To fly and ferry, bus and train second class.

 

Another new country ticked away

Just awesome. Train almost to myself!

This is so the way to travel

Suddenly there is a lurch and a shudder.

And another.

The engine sounding not right. And we grind to a noisy halt.

 

And I waited.

 

“Hey folks! This is your driver speaking.

We seem to have run into a little problem.

Please stay in your seats. Take a moment to wait.

Now, don’t you go and getting worry…

I’ll all get it fixed in a hurry.”

 

And I waited.

 

“Sorry sir. We have engine problems.

We’re in touch with the depot.

We’ll have to shunt into sidings.”

The conductor smiled, confident and calm:

“If you want to stretch your legs just go ahead.”

But be careful. It’s cold out there.

It’ll be minus 20 later tonight.

But we’ll get something sorted, you’ll be alright.

 

 

In a while longer than we are led to expect.

There was a coach or two or three that came to collect.

And the others go a separate way.

Ours plays ‘Chris on the radio’ all the way.

And as the morning turned to afternoon we drove

To a little town,

So wild-west and run-down.

Called Cicely.

 

There must have been twenty of us on the coach from the train.

Looking bedraggled, confused about where we were in main;

We were ushered into

An establishment, a bar, restaurant they called ‘The Brick’

 

 

Maurice was there. Apologising sincerely and promising

To put everyone stranded by the train

In the best accommodation available. As much was able.

“Now, you are all guests of our town.

Make yourselves at home. You will be well cared for”

He said.

And Chris on the radio played the blues.

 

Holling was busy cooking us all steaks and frites

With Shelly bustling about with her wide hospitality smile

“What can I get for you? It’s all on the house!”

 

An old man, dressed in a backwoodsman way,

Beckoned me over.

“You’re not here for the shooting then?”

And ignored my hesitated reply, pouring me a shot

Of whatever he was drinking from his flask.

Decline I did not.

A native American man with long black hair laughed

As I coughed. “It won’t do you no harm” said Ed.

 

And the evening progressed through substantial food

And drink. All apparently free.

Music live from Chris piped in

And laughter and an ethereal feel

And bingo. All rather unreal.

 

I don’t remember going to my room.

But it was spacious, clean and fine.

And the strange sensation I am inclined

To say. Continued.

I am sure Tlingit natives danced in the street

During the night.

But I can’t be sure.

 

The coach was waiting for us bleary-eyed

After an early snatched breakfast.

Coffee and pastry left out for us.

Nobody said goodbye.

And like some sort of brig-a-doon

With no sense of closure.

I feel I’ve had just a bit of Northern Exposure.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment