May 22nd It is but a dream and Abbey Road


May 22nd  It is but a dream; Abbey Road

 

It is but a dream

In the thick November fog

It softens all images and dampens all sound

And I am left straining to hear your soft voice

Yet, although your words be hushed

I will always hear you

For my heart remains ever full and strong with your wisdom

 

 

----------

 

 

How’s your memory?

My first monthly salary… in September 1975

Was £68… maybe a little less.

And I wanted a record player

One of my own.

 

I couldn’t afford to buy one outright

So took my pop with me

To W C Darby in the town

And he guaranteed me a loan

A hire purchased hi-fi.

One of my own.

 

But I didn’t have any records

Save those belonging to my Mum.

Jim and Elvis, South Pacific and some.

Not of my own.

 

But my joy overflowed

When I went and bought Abbey Road.

I listened to it over and over and over

And more.

Something and Pam: the end.

Because and Here came the sun

My love for The Beatles had begun.

 

And cousin Suzanne.

Gorgeous Suzanne.

Put me in only one record scorn…

So, soon, record collecting for me was born.

Happy days.


No comments:

Post a Comment